Monday, March 07, 2011

Spotlight Artist: Zack Borer

Our next Spotlight Artist is Zack Borer, a fuzzy-haired musician that has taken the traditional singer/songwriter sound and fused it with an explosive live band.


Band Line-up:
Zack Borer (guitar, lead vocal)
Craig Magnano (lead guitar)
Andre Cleghorn (bass, backing vocals)
Adam Jackson (drums, backing vocal)

How long have you been performing? How long performing in NYC?
I have been performing for as long as I remember. I played all throughout college as the "cover guy" in the local bars, which gave me the confidence to start writing and performing original music. I have been performing in New York for about 2 years, the last year though with my current lineup and catalog.

Zack Borer at Parkside Lounge (Photo Credit: Dan Pearson)

Past lives (i.e., previous bands, your early years, etc.):
Wow, I have had many past lives. Some of which helped me tremendously in my development and growth as an artist, and some I would rather forget. My very early years were spent playing solo, discovering my vocal capabilities and teaching me about music in its barest most pure form. After graduating college, I joined a band in DC, then another in New York that ended up kicking me out 3 months after arriving in the city. That was a good time, let me tell you! I took some time off, traveled, and eventually realized that putting a solid band behind my songs was the only way I could see success. So, that's what I did, and that's where I am now.

Favorite venues to play:
My favorite venues to play are the ones where people are truly connecting to my music. In all honesty, I have had some of my most cathartic and successful performances playing on a crappy stage on a random Wednesday Night. I feel blessed just to be able to perform my music for people, so in my mind, it doesn't really matter where it is. That being said, big stages and bright lights are fun!
Zack Borer at Rockwood Music Hall

Musical influences:
My influences span across a huge spectrum. From the classic songwriters like Paul Simon, The Beatles, and James Taylor, to the guitar mastery of Mark Knopfler, John Scofield and Trey Anastasio to the melodies and soul of Motown. The first artists I truly connected with back in the day were Dave Matthews and Ben Harper, then I discovered Stevie Wonder...

Blatant self-promotion: What would you like to plug?
I just released a new EP titled "Dollars Spent on Nothing" which is available on all digital retailers including itunes and Amazon. Also, all the information about upcoming shows, press articles, cover songs, AND streaming music is available on ZackBorer.com

Where can we buy your music?
itunes, Amazon.com, Rhapsody, and all other digital retailers. AND at my lives shows of course.

Linkage:
Website: ZackBorer.com
facebook: zackborer
Youtube: zackborer
Twitter: @zackborer
Myspace: zackborer
Reverb Nation: zackborer
Flickr: photos/zackborer

Tell us a story or anecdote about performing live in NYC.
Performing in New York City always presents new challenges and obstacles, most of which include not being able to hear anything and dealing with the 40 minute cut off time when your set is only half way done. My favorite anecdote happened a few years ago when I was performing as part of a "songwriter series" that I discovered online. I was given the address, and when I arrived there was no stage, PA, sound guy, or other artists. All there was was a lovely little burrito shop with a family of four eating nachos. YES, I WAS IN THE RIGHT PLACE. I was welcomed by the owner who thanked me for playing....I played my set to the employees and left! I didn't even get a complimentary burrito!!!
Zack Borer - Atlantic Sound Studio - Brooklyn, NY 4/1/10

Any advice to someone just starting out?
Don't let people tell you what you should or shouldn't be doing, and try as hard as you can to not compare yourself to everyone else. Be true to yourself and your music, and people will respond. It might take a long time, but if you are happy with the creation process that works for your vision and you believe in it wholeheartedly, your audience will as well.

Upcoming Gig:
Zack will be performing Friday, March 11 at The Canal Room
Friday, March 11, 2011 Zack Borer & Friends
Zack will be sharing the stage with some of his closest friends including Adam Jackson (drums), Andre Cleghorn (bass), Chad Dinzes (keys).
Special guests will include Kimi Lundie and Leslie Golden on background vocals!

Then stick around after for Emergency Service’s Album Release Party
$10 in advance, $15 at the door
doors 7:30pm, showtime 8pm
at:
Canal Room
285 W. Broadway (Canal St.)
(212) 941-8100
New York, NY
CanalRoom.com



Below is a video, with lyrics, of Zack's song "Here & There"

No comments: