Friday, March 13, 2009

R.I.P. Maura Fogarty: 1965 - 2009


We are saddened to hear of the loss of NYC singer & songwriter Maura Fogarty, who died suddenly. We don't know any of the details as of this writing. [ update: we've been told she died March 11 of an asthma attack. Reposing Saturday & Sunday in Riverdale. Funeral arrangements and other details at nydailynews.com ]

Born & raised in NYC, Maura attended the High School of Performing Arts in Manhattan. Not only a gifted singers, she also played accordion, guitar, keyboards and violin. She was well known in NYC's Irish music scene and was emerging in Nashville's country music scene as well.

Below is a video of "Into the Sun", written & performed by Maura.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Asthma attack

Anonymous said...

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/03/13/2009-03-13_fri_313_death_notices.html

Anonymous said...

John - So sorry to hear about your sister. She was a beautiful girl. I'm sure your family was very proud of her.
Love, Chris Halton

Unknown said...

I had the chance to make friends with Maura and write a few songs with her. She is and was an gentle heart with so much talent and beauty inside and out. I cannot begin to tell you how sad I am to see her go.

I just wanted to wish her family all the strength they need to handle this tragedy.

Kerrydawn said...

It was with great shock in learing of the passing of my friend Maura Fogarty. Maura's dedication to her trade was tremendous. Her contritbution to her culture never ending. As a person and a friend...a beautiful blessing.
My condolonces to the Forgarty family.
Gary Keohane

Anonymous said...

It was an asthma attack that took Maura from her family and friends.
Visit MauraFogarty.com for upcoming info

Family Friend

Stephen Breheny said...

Maura had one of the most unique singing voices. As with her entire family, she was a kind, passionate, and thoughtful. Life here will be short one beautiful person and we will be left to listen to her recordings as I just did to lift our spirits. May she rest in peace Stephen Breheny

Anonymous said...

my condolences to Maura Fogarty's family. I just now learned of her untimely and stunning passing in March. I only really spoke to her once or twice during her break at Molly Malone's and a dance in Plainview, NY. I have 2 of her albums and they were a source of great enjoyment. I just loved her voice and am very saddened at the awfully sad news of her passing. May she rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

I worked with Maura a long time ago and just found out the news today. It has really saddened me. She was a kind hearted person and although we lost touch she has always and always will be in my thoughts.A special person that I feel privileged to have met.